I have often used Jerky products for my dog (German Shepherd) as boredom can set in, especially when home alone.
I have made the Chicken version and also the Sweet Potato one for a bit of variety and my dog goes crazy over them; yet they are so easy to make.
I bake them in the oven like the recipe says, but I am also going to have a go at making them using my food dehydrator.
Homemade Chicken Jerky For Dogs
- 2-4 Chicken Breasts
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit (95 deg Celsius).
- While the oven is heating remove the skin if still on (it can be harmful to your dog) and also any excess fat from the chicken.
- Turn the chicken breast on its side so that you can use a paring knife to meat into 3-4mm strips.
- Put the strips on a baking sheet and bake for 2 hours.
- It is in a slow oven, so it’s drying out process so that the finished product is dry and hard.
- Before removing the Chicken from the oven, check that it is dry and hard, not soft or chewy.
- Cool before you allow your dog to have some.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
If you enjoyed these dog treats take a look at our designer dog beds which are suited for dogs of all sizes.