I have to admit it but I am not a big fan of baked Banana in things like Muffins or Bread. However, that is using human recipes.
The Naturalpetshop recipe for their Vegetable and Banana Strips is a totally recipe that incorporates Rolled Oats, Sweet Potato, Carrots,
Applesauce as well as the Banana for what ends up almost like the Fruit Leathers we had to eat as kids.
My dog is the official taste-tester and sure seems to like treat time these days.
Vegetable and Banana Strips
- 1 Small Sweet Potato
- 1 Cup Carrots (Minced)
- 1 Medium Banana
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Organic Applesauce
- 2 Cups Whole meal flour (white is okay if your dog has allergies)
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- ⅓ Cup Water
- Cook the sweet potato in the microwave for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the insides are soft. This can vary, so test with a skewer around 6 minutes. Set aside to cool fully.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180deg Celsius).
- While the oven is heating, get a large mixing bowl and add the Banana and Sweet Potato. Use a hand masher until they are smooth.
- Add the Carrots, Flour, and Rolled Oats.
- You are looking for a soft dough consistency, so slowly add the applesauce and water while mixing; being careful not to make too wet.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is 3-4mm thick (similar to commercially bought pastry sheets).
- Cut the dough into strips and place on a baking sheet to bake for around 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool fully before letting your dog have some.